As of today, we have gotten 15 of our 17 stations back from the field! Only two left! One of the most surprising creatures we caught on camera this week was a HUGE bird! The UFO was soon recognized as a Northern Goshawk!
In honor of our feathered friend, here are a few facts about goshawks:
The goshawks’ scientific name is Accipiter gentilis.
- The northern goshawk is the largest accipiter in North America.
- When they’re young they have yellow eyes and as they mature their eyes change from yellow to orange to red.
- They can fly easily in dense forests because of their long rounded tails and short wings.
- Goshawks are fierce protectors, they will attack animals and people if they get too close to their nest (I have personal experience with this).
- Attila the Hun wore an image of a Northern Goshawk on his helmet!
March 3rd is our End-of-Season Party! Come celebrate with all of your fellow volunteers! We’ll kick off the festivities at 2:00pm at Eichardt’s located at 212 Cedar St. in downtown Sandpoint!