Mileage: Choose your own adventure in the Ross Creek Cedars.
- For a short walk, there is a .8 mile loop in the Scenic Area.
- If you are looking to travel further, you can explore the South Fork of Ross Creek cedars (trail #321). This is a moderate 9-mile round-trip hike with beautiful views of a waterfall.
- Winter exploration is possible on snowshoes or skis. Start at the winter trailhead 3 miles east of the summer parking lot on NF Road 398.
Elevation Gain: Minimal
Major Hike Features: Calm. Quiet. Cool. Peaceful. This grove old-growth cedars features numerous flat and well-cleared paths that hikers of all fabilities can enjoy. With educational installations about the plants and animals, this is a great hike for families.
The fun doesn’t stop during the winter! Grab a pair of snowshoes or cross country skis to explore the cedars in the snow.
Just remember to come prepared. You’ll want to bring:
- Plenty of water. There is no water along the trail and the first two miles is on a mostly exposed and sunny slope.
- Hiking Poles. The trial is steep with loose rock.
- A map. The trail can be hard to find sometimes.
- Long pants. Overgrown brush, downed trees, can be abundant in early summer before our volunteer trail crew clears the path.
- A trowel to do your business and a bag for your trash. There is not bathroom at the trailhead so you’ll have to bury your business and pack out your toilet paper.
Directions to Trailhead: Take Hwy 56 and watch for the forest service sign for Ross Creek Cedars which is about a half mile South of Bull Lake. Follow the signs to the parking lot for the Cedars.
In Winter: After turning off Hwy 56, the Ross Creek Cedars road (National Forest Rd. 398) will be plowed or well traveled for the first few miles. About 1.5 to 2 miles down the road, at the intersection of NF Rd. 398 and West Bull Lake rd. there is a wide spot fdesignated for winter recreation parking. Part here are travel the last 3 miles to the Ross Creek Cedars on foot. These are the approximate coordinates for winter parking: 48.211126, -115.866427
GPS Coordinates: 48.208774, -115.913785