Mileage: 10 miles (5 miles one way)
Elevation Gain: 4,000 feet
Major Hike Features: Connecting with several trails, Star Peak is best accessed via Big Eddy Trail #999. The trail is steep but very well maintained other than the occasional fallen tree. Thanks to FSPW trail work volunteers, #999 has replaced the lower half of trail #998. The new trail features better views, easier hiking and plenty of huckleberry bushes. The summit of star peak offers beautiful views of the Clark Fork Valley, Sweeping views of the Scotchmans and the Cabinets, and a historic lookout tower. Expect the brush and downed trees along the trail – the Scotchmans are wild!
In the wintertime, this is a great hike on snowshoes! It’s a tough but rewarding snowy excursion. The first two miles of the trail are oftentimes free of snow offering adventurers the opportunity to go hiking AND snowshoeing all in one day!
Just remember to come prepared. You’ll want to bring:
- Plenty of water. There is no water along the trail and the first two miles is on a mostly exposed and sunny slope.
- Hiking Poles. The trial is steep with loose rock.
- A map. The trail can be hard to find sometimes.
- Long pants. Overgrown brush, downed trees, can be abundant in early summer before our volunteer trail crew clears the path.
- A trowel to do your business and a bag for your trash. There is not bathroom at the trailhead so you’ll have to bury your business and pack out your toilet paper.
Directions to Trailhead: The trailhead is just off of Montana Highway 200 45 miles east of Sandpoint, ID and 45 miles West of Thompson Falls, MT. The trailhead turn-off is near mile marker 6.5 on Forest Road #2292. About 100 yards up the road, there is a switchback and the trail head is in that corner. It’s marked with a brown gilsonite lath with the number 999 on it. There is room for about four or five cars near the trailhead. You can also park at a highway pull-off that directly across highway from Forest Rd #2292. This highway-adjacent parking is a great option for winter hikers.
GPS Coordinates: 48.068868, -115.924948